Monday, April 29, 2013

It's Only Forever, Not Long At All

I'm so excited to share one of my absolute favourite films with you. I don't know when it was that I first saw Labyrinth but I was definitely very young. I couldn't even guess how many times I've watched it, but I know every word of dialogue and the lyrics of every song. 

I'm sure a lot of you have seen it and possibly love it as much as me. It's definitely one of those films that if you  saw it as a kid, you either loved it or were terrified by it. Some of my friends in school and college told me how scared they were by it and looking at it through the eyes of an adult now I can see why, although I never felt that way. I wasn't scared by many films growing up, I'm probably more scared of things now than I was then. The entire concept of the film is pretty terrifying, a young girl (Jennifer Connelly) has baby brother kidnapped by the King of a city of Goblins (David Bowie) and has to battle through a weird and creepy labyrinth to get her brother back. 


image003 image006 image008 image009 image010 image021 image022 image025 image027 image028 image030 image033 image035 image037 image038 image041 image051 image052 image056 image059 image064 image068 image070 image073 image078 image103 image091 image092 image094 image100 image107 image109 image113 image119 image121 image122 image124 image125 image128 image130 image137 image138 image139 image142 image145


If you've watched the film then you'll know that there's this strange fear/fantasy dichotomy between Sarah and the Goblin King. The ballroom scene in particular is something I could never figure out because it's Sarah's dream/fantasy after falling asleep from the effects of the "poisoned " peach, but the Goblin King is the one who gives it to Hoggle to give to her so you have to wonder what influence he has had on her dreams. You don't notice these things when you're an oblivious and innocent child but it's very interesting to watch the film today and dissect it. I am almost certain that if Labyrinth was pitched as a film idea today it would not get made (which I think is the case with a lot of films I watched as a child) and I suppose it's a rather sad thought.  

I adore everything about this film. Jim Henson's creatures are magnificent, the amount of detail that went into the sets and all of the different Goblins is to me so much more impressive than anything that can be computer animated today because the resources were much more limited in the eighties. The performances by Jennifer Connelly who was so young and David Bowie who's casting was ingenious (who would have thought!) are so perfect. Not forgetting Bowie's part in the soundtrack which I still love to listen to now. 

I would love to know what films you loved to watch as a child and what films scared you. Have you seen Labyrinth? What do you think?

Emma x

9 comments:

  1. Oh this film looks interesting!
    Sweetie now I´m following you in FB and Bloglovin´
    I hope your follow me back

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, dear Emma, I have seen Labyrinth. Jennifer Connelly is one of my favorite actresses and I've seen nearly every movie of her career. She certainly was a beautiful teenager and the chemistry between her and Bowie was palpable, truly inspired casting.

    I was a child of the Fifties and saw hundreds of horror, science fiction and fantasy movies during the decade. I loved to be frightened at the movies and it took a lot to really get to me because I always knew it was only a movie. However, around 1960, when I was 10, movies changed. Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho and the British film Circus of Horrors took terror and suspense to a whole new level and they really scared me. Rosemary's Baby and George A. Romero's zombie trilogy: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead also scared the stuffins out of me. I highly recommend all of the above.

    Have a wonderful week, dear friend Emma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have never seen the George A Romero films, but I love Psycho! Rosemary's baby is very creepy too!

      Delete
  3. Ha I love this movie too have the dvd:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looooove this movie. The music, the actors, David Bowie <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'labyrinth' and 'dark crystal' were my go to movies when i wanted to be creeped out when i was a kid :) i havent watched either of them in years, your beautiful screenshots makes me want to rectify that asap! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Dark crystal in so long, but I remember being totally creeped out by it, I really should watch it again to see what I think now!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...