Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pancake Tuesday and Ash Wednesday

Pancake Tuesday/ Shrove Tuesday/ Fat Tuesday/ Mardi Gras whatever you know it as, to us Irish is the day when we stuff our faces with pancakes! It is the day when you fill up on fatty, sugary foods before the fasting time of Lent which begins on Ash Wednesday. I was not raised Catholic and therefore never followed the tradition of Lent or getting ashes on my forehead on Ash Wednesday (I always thought it was the strangest thing!). However we always had pancakes on Pancake Tuesday and didn't have to give up anything for the following forty days until Easter. It was always the hot topic in school during the days leading up to it, "What are you giving up for Lent?" Chocolate, ice-cream, cakes, biscuits, crisps. It was always some sort of junk food.

Seeing the ashes on peoples' foreheads every year I still find it strange that a lot of the people who keep up with this tradition would probably tell you that they don't even believe in God or go to "mass" regularly or even own a bible, the only reason they partake in this ritual every year is because it is a tradition. I don't know what your opinion on this is but I guess I just laugh it off and find it a little silly. I suppose the idea behind giving up some junk food that you love for forty days can't be a bad thing, but why do people do it? Do they even stop and think what the reason behind the idea is? It's just something I was thinking about today, what do you think?

Anyway, Donnacha made us a bucket load of pancakes yesterday (he was making them for 8 people!). We had strawberries, cream, maple syrup, lemon juice, honey, nutella and bacon as toppings and they were all yummy. It was just what I needed after the stressful press day we had in work!

I'm still not sure what countries take part in Pancake Tuesday and Ash Wednesday, maybe you guys could let me know if you're familiar with them.

I met my mam and sister for lunch and coffee today. It was so nice to spend time together, just the three of us. Here are some photos from the past two days.


PT1

Simon wearing Donnacha's snuggie and Lee's Harry Potter scarf


PT2


PT3


PT4

Ok, so I know the presentation isn't great but it did taste great!


AW1

Yummy spring vegetable soup and homemade bread


AW2

Orange cupcake from The Bakery (best cupcakes in Dublin)


AW3

My lovely sister and mother

Hope you're having a great week so far. Donnacha and I went to a preview screening (with drinks reception) of Hallpass last night. The film was funny, not amazing but funny, the free drinks made it better!

Emma xx

3 comments:

  1. i had never heard of pancake tuesday but I am going to get aboard that tradition...I just need to find someone to make me pancakes. I never really understood Lent either at least for folks who didnt really go to church and who werent very religious....it seems silly to me to but it doesnt hurt anyone so whatever floats your boat

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never heard of pancake tuesday, but reading your blog made me want to move to ireland just for it. hahah. loveee pancakes!!

    AND i totally wear my snuggie like a coat/cape thing too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...